So I decided to saddle up Tonka to see how my tack fit... After some test fitting and stuff of all my bridles/saddles. Found the best match for the time being :) a western bridle & my dressage saddle. I started out with one of those half pads under a regular pad since he has no topline and HUGE withers... Worked him, and he was getting mad. Took out the half pad, and he was much better. And the saddle fit him pretty well considering his awesome physical stature and his HUGE withers ;) LOL...

Worked him pretty hard, poor boy was sweatin with his winter coat in the summer weather we had today. Alot of walk, trot, canter transitions instead of consistently in one gait. He's a SMART fella, picks up on everything fast. Learned he CAN buck when he wants to LOL.

Then I was feeling brave and decided to hop (more like climb a ladder) on to him. I didn't have reins hooked to the bridle so I just had Darryl hold him while I got on (he had his halter under the bridle). He stood like a gentleman. Then I had Darryl walk him around. Then I asked Darryl to let the lead really loose and basically just walk with him but don't try and control him or anything. He halted when I sat deep, went when I gave a little leg pressure, didn't freak with spurs (just wanted to see his reactions), not dead sided at all which is awesome :D

When I was all done I untacked him and left him in the roundpen to roll (he was DYIN to roll with the saddle on LOL). And he rolled like a madman :D Then spent some QT time getting scratched.

I learned that he REALLY needs work putting on the bridle... as soon as you try to put it over the ears... forget about it. He gets MAAAAD.. took someone pinching his side to get his attention off it. So that will be a daily routine, with the halter if nothing else... on & off till hes calm about it. He had no problem with the bit though.

I feel pretty accomplished, and really happy that things are going so well :D

No pics of me on him cuz my photographer was my leader LOL but some under saddle, and one other funny pic of me on the tractor for your amusement :D

Oh, and I have to say how COMFY he is :D

me and my tractor/poop spreader


with the half pad... angry "pony"










somebody likes changing directions at random.. not allowed :D




half pad coming out... so then i removed it so see if that was the problem
(and it was


MUCH happier pony
















0 comments